Sunday, February 19, 2012

February Card Buffet - a new venture!

Last weekend, I introduced a new type of card class called a Card Buffet.  In a nutshell, I created 10 different cards (well... actually 9 cards and 1 little treat box seen here) and let the attendees choose which ones they wanted to make.  I got the idea from some fellow SU! Demonstrators and decided to give it a whirl.  It took me a few months to work out all of the details on how I wanted to run mine.  And then I had to come up with all of the different designs and then pull it off.   I did re-use a few of the card ideas I had from club for this first round (one very similar to the one posted here.  For each buffet, I'll rotate out some of these cards and rotate in some new ones.  Which ones will depend upon the current catalogs, who is attending, upcoming holidays, etc.  I was pretty happy with how it went and got some good feedback.  So, I'll definitely be doing it all again very soon.  

Here are some pictures of the set-up (oops... didn't get any pictures of the work tables where everyone made their cards).





And here are some details on a few of the cards....

This Orange Butterfly card was inspired by one by Cassie D'Ambrosio that I found on Pinterest.  I loved the butterflies showing through the window and how simple the card was.  Before I cut the smaller butterfly with the embosslit, I stamped the cardstock with the En Francais stamp using Versamark to give it a little more character.  The left side of the card front is also stamped using Versamark with the same stamp.  A little hemp twine gives the butterfly its body & antennas. 

Products used (everything is from SU! unless otherwise noted):
Stamp sets: En Francais; Cardstock: Crumb Cake;
Patterned Paper:  Pumpkin Pie DSP Paper Stack;
Inks: VersamarkPunches: 2 1/2" Circle;  
Sizzix Dies:  Beautiful Butterflies, Beautiful Wings Embosslit; 
Ribbon: 1/4" Pumpkin Pie Grosgrain, Hemp Twine; 
Other: Big Shot, Sponge Daubers, Pop Dots (American Crafts), Scotch ATG.







Next up is the Field Flower card inspired by a project that's on the cover of the current SU! IB&C.  I've stared at it since last summer and thought it was about time I made one.  I'm really drawn to these colors together.... Calypso Coral and Soft Suede.  

Products used (everything is from SU! unless otherwise noted):
Stamp sets: Field Flowers;  
Cardstock: Soft Suede, Calypso Coral, Very VanillaPatterned Paper:  First Edition DSP;
Inks: Lucky Limeade, Calypso Coral, Crumb Cake;   
Ribbon: Victoria Crochet Trim;  
Embellishments:  Old Olive Button
Other: Sponge Daubers, Distress Tool (Tim Holtz), Pop Dots (American Crafts), thread (DMC), Scotch ATG.





The Elephant Celebrate Card is one I stumbled upon while blog hopping.  It's by Brenda Anderson; I thought hers was adorable.

Products used (everything is from SU! unless otherwise noted):
Stamp sets: Under The Big Top; 
Cardstock: Whisper White, Real ReadPatterned Paper:  Big Top Birthday DSP;
Inks: Real Red, Tempting Turquoise, Daffodil Delight, Basic Gray, Basic Black 
Punches: Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border, 3/4" Circle;  
Other:  Sponge Dauber, Blender Pen, Pop Dots (American Crafts), Scotch ATG.




I'll post details on some of the other cards later this week.  Thanks for taking a peek!  And a special thanks to those who blindly jumped into the first buffet and gave me their feedback!  It's GREATLY appreciated.  :0)
Have a great week everyone!  
Colleen

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous cards!! Hope your buffet went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the butterfly card and have a card like that on my Pinterest board... I plan to use this in one of my classes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very intrigued with the Card Buffet concept. I've thought about it for awhile and wondered how it works, how much to charge per card, whether to place a limit on how many cards a person can make of each design,(I've heard that some that do it actually put no limit and that it's first come first serve). I would love to know how it all works completely. Thanks for sharing your pictures and info. It makes it a little easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jodi... sorry for the delayed response... I was traveling and I'm just catching up. If you want, I'd be happy to give you more details on how I set up my Card Buffet. Just send me an e-mail at psucolleen@yahoo.com and let me know what kinds of questions you have. I'd be thrilled to help you out. Thank you for your note. Colleen.

      Delete
    2. Great cards and such a wonderful variety! Love how you displayed the card choices and the shoebox kits are such a great organization idea! I may have to try to create one of these this summer! Thanks for sharing all of the pictures and information!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...